Thursday, January 17, 2008

Myth #7: "I didn't know that _______" is an all-purpose excuse

Fact: Patrons come up with all sorts of excuses for returning items late, in the bookdrop, or just generally not following the instructions that come with an interlibrary loan. The one that irks me the most is the amalglam of "I didn't know that _____" or "I didn't read that ______" or "I assumed that _____."

Excuse #1: "I didn't know that I couldn't return ILL items in the bookdrop."

Allow me to quote from the Interlibrary Loan Patron Responsibility Agreement, which all patrons are required to sign when picking up an interlibrary loan item:

"I understand that this loan represents a special service and that my obligation is to return these items on time and to the REFERENCE DESK of the library where I picked it up. I will not return it via the bookdrops." [italics mine]

Failure to read what you are signing does not absolve you of responsibility for the item.

Excuse #2: "I didn't know the due date was different from CCPL items - I thought I had a month."

The due date for interlibrary loan items is stamped upon the yellow band in red ink to make it very prominent. The Main reference desk staff (at least when I'm around) make a point of showing the patron the due date, and showing the patron the phone number for asking for renewals.

Again, failure to note this date does not absolve you from late fines.

Excuse #3: "I didn't know the yellow band had to stay on the item."

And the big black bold letters that say "DO NOT REMOVE THIS STRIP" are not there for decorative purposes. The yellow band contains information to help interlibrary loan staff match the item with the lender's paperwork to return to that library. It also contains information for patrons, including the due date and contact information for interlibrary loan. It also serves as a flag to our circulation departments if the item is accidentally mixed with CCPL items.

If the band is removed, and the item is returned in the bookdrop or in a pile of CCPL items, our circulation departments will route the item to our Administration office for courtesy returns. The ILL department is in an entirely different part of the building, and does not see these items.

Failure to follow instructions is does not absolve you from responsibility for interlibrary loan items.

CCPL staff - help us out by reminding patrons that the yellow band needs to stay on the items, and by pointing out the helpful information on the band. Maybe if we say it often enough, we can educate our public.

No comments: